Monday 12 March 2012

Trouble with School

Amazing to think a school would ever NOT want parents' help managing a child's potentially life-threatening medical condition while at school.  This is exactly the case with our daughter's school.  Her teacher is wonderful and never minds when I come to help our daughter with diabetes related issues.  The administration staff?  Quite another story!!

She recently got her insulin pump but was not confident enough to use it without my supervision.  Understandably so, since an over-dosing of insulin could cause an extreme low.  Lows are very dangerous.  Heaven forbid I should help her with this!!!  Again, her teacher prefers me to come in.  Administration does their best to keep me out.  (I wonder what they have to hide?) 

When I asked why they ban certain foods other students are allergic to, the response was to keep them safe while they are on school premises.  How are they to keep my daughter safe when they have no formal training with diabetes and REFUSE to listen to us on the correct methods of her treatment?  Not only do they refuse to listen to treatment methods, they also refuse to believe how serious this disease is.  It's like they think we are over-reacting.  I wish!  Why take a child's allergy seriously and not diabetes?  They both have the potential to kill.

How are we supposed to teach them -- not that I trust anyone at her school after their gross mistreatment -- when we are still learning the pump, too?  They can't keep my daughter safe because they refuse to acknowledge the seriousness of her situation.  So wouldn't the next logical step be to allow me access to do what needs to be done to keep my daughter safe?  No.  Not here.  They make us fight for every inch.

There will be some serious questioning of administration staff at the next school, along with our expectations in writing.  She'll not be attending the same school next fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment