Friday 2 May 2014

The Hierarchy of Equality

The other evening, I went with my oldest daughter to our local high school, which I attended, um, twenty-ish years ago. Shh.  Don't tell people I'm that old, 'cause in my mind I'm still eighteen most days! 

After the information session, she and I wandered the halls.  They've changed very little.  Even the lockers are the same colour.  Yes, really.  I gave a running commentary as we walked:  cool kids' hallway; geeks, nerds and not so smart kids' hallway; middle kids' hallway.  Showed her where my locker was:  geeks, nerds and not so smart kids' hallway.  Now I did this commentary in a funny way.  She giggled and smiled the entire time, but it got me to wondering if the hierarchy has changed.  Is there more equality and less social "class" than twenty years ago?  I questioned my nephews who currently attend this high school; and, no, it has not.  Same hallways.  Just a new generation.  A few different descriptions for the same class of people.

Grande Prairie is -- and always has been -- a city who places high importance on societal status.  You must be from a certain family.  Your family must have certain "things" and live in a certain neighborhood.  Your family must have the appearance of being "moneyed", even if they are in debt past their eyeballs.  You must also know certain business owners or families who have long been in this area.  It doesn't matter if these people are nice.  Or honest.  Kind.  As long as you have met them at least once and can claim an acquaintance with them.

Me?  I've long been a rebel.  I honestly couldn't give a shit to know most of the so-called "cream of society".  Why?  A lot of the ones I have met are not that nice.  They are selfish, dishonest people who are completely happy to throw you to the wolves while saving their own asses to gain financially -- or otherwise -- from doing so.

I have met a few from the "upper crust" who are great people.  Mostly because they don't behave as if they are moneyed or entitled in some way.  They are just genuine, kind people who had to earn what they now have.  The hard way -- with sweat and hard work.  Unlike many who had it passed down to them.

It truly disappoints me to know that Grande Prairie has changed so little in the last twenty years.  Visiting the high school made me acutely aware of this.  Why must we go around thinking we are more entitled than the next guy because of where we live?  How long we've been here?  How much money out mommies and daddies have?  How amazing so-and-so is simply because they are a front-runner in a little society -- yet are a terrible, mean-spirited person out of the public eye?

When will people understand this behaviour will carry on as long as those of us in the "middle" and "bottom" allow it to continue?

There is no equality in society.  Merely an hierarchy as old as the feudal days of the 15th century, with a touch of sentimental "equality" that is never realized.

The more things change; the more they stay the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment